Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Railroading in Hawaii

Restoring the old trains

Riding the Hawaiian Railway Train wasn't high on my list of things to do. When the kids were younger, I took them on the train ride on two different occasions, but they do not remember the experience. I do...distracted, bored children. The rumbling, slow pace made them tired and they were not interested in the narrative that accompanied the ride.

For weeks, my daughter had been asking to ride the train. This past Sunday, with a lull in our schedule, we decided to hop on that Choo! Choo! Fare for a 90 minute ride: $12 for adults & $8 for kids.


Everyone go to the restroom first!
Here we go!
To husband: Don't fall asleep! (His first ride)
To kids: Pretend you're enjoying yourself even when you are not.

Entrance to KoOlina

I won't post all the photos but I'll tell you about it.
We rolled pass residential neighborhoods with families waving at us from their backyards. Charming.
We thundered through Kiawe trees and scrubby brush. Saw horses.
We chugged through resort areas, KoOlina/Aulani Disney Resort (above). I wish I were there.
And we ended with an ocean view at Kahe Point before heading back (below). Pretty!

Kahe Point

You know what? I really enjoyed myself. Relaxing, beautiful scenery, nice weather, great kids and husband who stayed awake.

Rating 3 out of 4 stars.
Me: 
Hubby: 
Crazy Cat Kid: 
Small Fry: 

What have you been up to lately?