Thursday, July 18, 2013

On Becoming a Successful Blogger

image source
As part of my Etsy Journey chit-chat, I post about things I learn as I try to improve my craft shop, http://HandmadeCute.Etsy.com. This summer I wanted to get a basic understanding of Search Engine Optimization (SEO). I decided to educate myself with SEO because I spend a fair amount of time on my computer as a blogger, consumer and shop owner. It made sense to do this with a little bit of knowledge. While I know I will never understand the nuts and bolts of how a computer and the world wide web works, I do not want to be in a constant fog of bewilderment. 

Unfortunately, learning SEO is even more difficult than I imagined it to be. I found the terminology scary even when re-worded in the most elementary form. I won't even attempt to explain what I've been reading but I do know there are mistakes that I've made in the past with my blog and Etsy site and it will be time consuming to correct...if I want to pursue that path.

In the meantime, I am fascinated with the resources available on Google Webmaster Tools. The one mentioned below helped me find duplicate title tags on my blog. To try it, you will need an account with Google and should have a site listed and verified. Although I had one set up some time ago, I did not take the time to look through the features until recently. (There is a Webmaster Tool Help link on Google to guide your through the setup.)

*Select your site (My site is http://handmadecuties.blogspot.com)
*Go to "Search Appearance"
*Click on "HTML Improvements"
*Under the menu of items, I chose to look at "Duplicate Title Tags" because I wanted to start with something easy.
*During the period that my website was crawled, it showed that I had 12 blog titles that were the same (hmmm...can you guess what it is? Hint: my Friday posts).

The recommendation is to update my title tags with something more applicable and concise that will aid readers spot useful information and help with search engiine rankings.

I am always excited to get new and returning blog visitors and know that blog writers work hard at doing this! For me it has always been a fun pastime but maybe with a little more dedication I can be a successful blogger like you! Even if you blog as a hobby, I think you'll find these Google web features useful.

For my Etsy shop, I found this easy to understand article with simple exercises: 2 Shop Stats Exercises to Increase Your Traffic.

As always, I appreciate your visit and will humbly take any advice you are willing to share on how to become a better blogger.