Saturday, June 8, 2013

Summer Saturday ~ two

It's a sci- fi PG-13 movie about aliens and the end of humanity. I sit in the last row of the theatre as an "invisible parent" chaperone while the newly hatched teenagers sit as far away from me as they can without looking up into Will Smith's nostrils.

My younger not-yet-13-year-old is sitting next to me, protectively guarding her popcorn. I couldn't leave her alone at home so I bring her along and buy her the kid's snack tray - popcorn, a box of candy and fruit punch. She loves it. I tell her to close her eyes if the movie gets scary but she won't because the popcorn might disappear into my mouth.

The spaceship crashes! Gigantic baboons on the attack! Oh no...poisonous leaches! Destructive thermal earth shifts! A zombie dead sister! ALIEN!

Finally, I get some popcorn. It's soggy.

The teenagers are giddy with glee over the movie. My little one is bouncing with sugar overload. And I leave with a line from Will Smith that I will use with my kids when the aliens attack.

“Fear is not real. It is a product of thoughts you create. Do not misunderstand me. Danger is very real. But Fear is a choice.”   Will Smith, After Earth

What do you think of this quote?

*