Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pig Stories

Have you ever held a baby pig?

A piglet feels hard and sort of muscular, not soft and squishy. At first, they wiggle, squirm and squeal but when settled, they will grunt the cutest grunt! I think it's that grunt, and the funny way that they sprint when they are playing and of course their cuteness that got me. Our family once owned an orphaned pig who's mama was probably someone's smoked meat pupu. Piggy was a black, prickly thing but despite it's uncuddliness, Piggy was always looking for a hug. It would greet strangers by running up to them, sometimes sending surprised visitors scurrying away. Piggy's story has a tragic ending. She tried to say "Hello!" to hunters. I can only imagine that the hunters couldn't believe their good luck.

On a cheerier note, I've finally completed my beaded pig charms. I re-did the pattern several times until I captured the look that I wanted. These are tiny little things measuring no more than 1.75 cm. in height x 1.25 cm. in width. It's done in the Peyote stitch bead weaving method with 11/0 Delica seed beads. I have one salmon pink pig and one creamy white pig. You can find it here.

And, from my bookshelf, I found two of my favorite pig stories. 

Curious Kimo by Malia Maness is story about an adventurous pig who does not heed his mother's warning and goes on a search with friends for juicy, delicious guavas. 

The Three Pigs is a Caldecott Medal book by David Weisner. It's a twist on the original children's book The Three Little Pigs. My kids and I enjoyed the funny, comic book like illustrations and the happy ending.

I'll stop now before I start sounding like the crazy pig lady but I'd love for you to share your pig stories or items. 

Thanks for visiting today and please come back for tomorrow's I Love Your Smile list!