Monday, February 18, 2013

Crown Flower Catastrophe

Once upon a time I had 3 crown flower fledglings. Tiny little crown flower stumpettes with great juicy leaves. Then the butterflies came, leaving behind oodles of eggs that hatched into hungry hungry caterpillars. Within days my plants were embarrassingly bare and naked but those little caterpillars still had a bad case of the munchies and needed to be fed. Luckily a friend adopted these babies and provided them with a new home and most of them transformed into beautiful Monarch butterflies. (Most = she had a head count every day. Good mommy!) Bad weather and possibly the humiliation of being left in the buff may have caused my crown flower plants to kick the bucket.

My latest attempt includes protecting my plants in a dog kennel to keep the butterflies away until the cuttings have rooted and leaves have sprouted. As you can see from the photo, I have been unsuccessful.

While I still do not have the butterfly garden that I have always wanted, I am happy to share with you these beautiful butterflies via my Facebook friends.

*Butterfly in the Garden by I Make Crafts
*Colorful Butterfly Wreath by Julies Home Creation
*Metal Garden Art by Dars Butterflys wings n gifts
*Tupper's Perch on Etsy and Facebook (on vacation right now but take a peek anyway!)

If you have any tips on how I can grow a beautiful crown flower plant or where to get a leafy one for cheap, pleeeease let me know. I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks for stopping by!