Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Traditions

I like reading blogs to see what kind of holiday traditions other families share together. I think family traditions make everything even more special. I hope my kids will remember these fun times when they are all grown up with families of their own.

Our traditions are very...traditional. Nothing fancy or too difficult because I might get grumpy. Each year we make a new holiday ornament to add to our tree. This year we did something a little different and easier. Instead of crafting, the kids made a "holiday time capsule" with those clear plastic balls you can pick up at the craft store. Each child placed a current photo and special 2012 memories into the ornament. My older put a memento from her favorite dessert shop along with many tiny origami cranes that she carefully folded. Each crane lists a goal for 2013. The younger one put in a little bag that she sewed {because sewing is her thing this year}. She also added a molar that she recently lost {yuck!}.


The kids just finished working on mini gingerbread houses. This is not part of our holiday tradition because, thank goodness, this messy project is done at school. However, we found kits for really cheap and decided to give it a try. Unfortunately the frosting in this kit was not thick enough so the walls kept collapsing. I managed to take a photo...


...before the walls came tumbling down. I hear crunching! Is someone eating the house?


Later today we'll bake chocolate cookies for Santa from a very, very simple recipe. Last year we baked oatmeal cookies, a little too early, and ended up eating it before Christmas. We had to give Santa a store bought cookie and in the morning the kids found it half eaten in the garbage. Hopefully our cookies will turn out well and Santa will enjoy his little snack.

 
I'd love to hear about your holiday traditions. Maybe I'll adopt a few of yours and get rid of some of ours that aren't working.

Have a very Merry Christmas and I hope Santa gives you exactly what you have been wishing for!

Thank you for stopping by!