Monday, July 23, 2012

Learning to Bead a Bead with Peyote Stitch

This week I'm trying to teach myself how to wrap a bead with the Peyote stitch technique. I have covered beads using a netted bead weave stitch and I have made mandalas with the flat round Peyote stitch but I have never managed to wrap a bead with the Peyote stitch.

Flat Round Peyote Stitch Mandala

Netted Beads

Simply put, my Peyote covered beads are U-G-L-Y!  To help me out I searched the web for instructions and found two sources that I really liked.  I came across a blog called Bead For Brains (what a clever name).  The author of this blog, Mandy, is on a journey to conquer a new bead technique, stitch or pattern every day for 365 days (wow!).  From here I followed Mandy's link to Lisa Businka's blog and was inspired by the way the bead artist uses a pin and pliers to hold her bead and start stringing from the top. I normally string from the center and decrease as I go to the top.

Too lazy to get up, I just stuck a screw through my 12mm wooden bead and my work began.  It was much easier for me to bead from the top down and hold my work steady with the protruding screw. Here is my finished beaded bead.  I used contrasting Toho 11 beads so I would not get mixed up whenever I increased or decreased a row.

Peyote Stitch Beaded Bead

The end result is still a bit ugly-ish but I'm happy that I managed to cover an entire bead.  I wish the end result was a smoother bead.  Next time I will try my project with smaller seed beads.  Hopefully with more practice, I'll be able to successfully bead a bead with Peyote Stitch!

If anyone can give me tips on this project, I'd be a happy beader!

Links you might like:
*Bead for Brains blog
*businka-lisa blog (Russian)
*Flat Round Peyote Stitch Tutorial

***

Follow my blog with Bloglovin (and comment below to let me know who you are so I can visit you too!)