Monday, July 16, 2012

Flat Herringbone Stitch

My bead stitch of choice is the brick stitch.  I like it because I like structure and rhythm while beading.  Like building a Lego brick wall, this stitch does it for me.  Here is an example of one of my brick stitch charms.  See how the beads stack on top of each other like bricks?


Now this post is not titled Brick Stitch because, for just a little while, I stepped away from my favorite stitch to try something new...the Flat Herringbone or Ndebele Stitch.  At first glance, I was not too excited about the Herringbone stitch because the beads lay at an angle and slant away from each other like my crooked teeth before braces. But after reading a bit of history about the Herringbone stitch and seeing examples of completed work, I was eager to get started.

Following the tutorial on About.com, Flat Ndebele or Herringbone Stitch Tutorial with Ladder StitchI gathered up my beads and went to work.  I used cube beads for the ladder stitch base along with Toho 8 and 11 seed beads to make a bracelet.  I finished off the bracelet with a button clasp.




I am happy to say that I like the finished piece.  The angle of the beads, when viewed as a whole, is actually quite pretty.  If I look too closely, I feel like straightening up a few beads. Overall, I like how the bracelet lies flat and I love that it is so "soft" and flexible. I will practice this stitch and see what else I can come up with.  Hooray for learning something new!
*****

Follow my blog with Bloglovin (and comment below to let me know who you are so I can visit you too!)